How To Get Rid Of Cellulite
The joys of being a woman right! Periods, childbirth, pimples, PMS, and to add to all that we get cellulite too! According to self.com, up to 93% of women will experience it at some point in their lives. So how do we get rid of it? Can you even get rid of it!? I’m here to bust some truths!
Disclaimer: I must mention that in terms of your overall health, there’s nothing wrong with having cellulite. However, many of us wish to reduce its appearance.
What even is it?
Like many mysteries in life, like the Egyptian pyramids, we still don’t know why we get cellulite. Many experts don't agree on the reason it suddenly appears. Some experts think cellulite is due to poor circulation, others think the capillaries and blood vessels that bring nutrients to the skin begin to deteriorate and leak lymphatic fluid into your fat cells, which get engorged. These fat cells cluster together, poofed up with liquid, and move toward the surface of the skin, causing the notorious cellulite look. But let's be honest, we don’t care so much about WHY it happens, but how to get rid of it right?!
- Cellulite is pockets of fat that have squeezed between bands of tissue, called septae, that are under the skin.
- Cellulite discriminates (rude!). Women of all races and ages get it, while virtually no men do due to our septae differences (as mentioned above).
- Cellulite doesn’t discriminate with your size either. Women of all body types and weights get it. Although, the more body fat you have, the more likely you are to also have significant dimpling. But even slimmer women have some fat between their muscles and skin. And that's all it takes for cellulite to happen folks.
- Cellulite runs in families (thanks Mum). Your genes help determine how you store fat, where you store fat, and how likely that fat is to push through the septae.
- Hormones do play a role. But again, the role of hormones isn't known. Cellulite starts at around the age of puberty, which is why doctors think estrogen is involved. However, that hasn't been proven yet.
Getting rid of it
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is limited evidence to back up claims that topical creams, medications, or liposuction eliminate cellulite for good. However, a study by Schunck M, et al (2015) found an improvement in cellulite in women who took bioactive collagen peptides.
The women took the daily oral supplement for 6 months. They noted a decrease in cellulite on their thighs. The improvement was seen in both women with a moderate and higher weight, but those with a moderate weight saw the most improvement.
There are some proven ways to DECREASE the look of cellulite but not get rid of it for good. Unfortunately, there's no way to completely eliminate cellulite.
Lifting weights: This acts like fillers for your skin. If your muscles are more defined, your skin will look smoother. Start with 1-2 times a week and move up to 3-4 from there. If you’re unsure on how to weight train I would recommend getting a personal trainer for a few sessions just to learn how to work the weights room.
Losing weight: If you lose weight and replace it with muscle, you're going to have a fat layer that's not as thick, and your cellulite is going to improve. Did I mention that the Slim Mama Shake comes with a free weight loss guide?
Read more: Tips To Make Weight Loss Easier
Don’t smoke: This should go without saying, but research published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology shows that smoking can weaken the formation of collagen, making cellulite more visible.
Drink water!: This may help decrease the look of cellulite as it encourages circulation and lymphatic flow.
So like anything in the health realm - eating healthy, drinking water, and exercising is the key!
Nikki’s experience with cellulite
Nikki, aka the original Slim Mama, talks about her experience with cellulite.
“So, I wasn’t training as much at the start of last year and I noticed a substantial amount of cellulite on my upper legs, butt, and thighs. I tried scrubs, and dry brushing but didn’t notice ANY change at all. It wasn’t until I started interval training at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes a day that the cellulite started disappearing. I also started drinking our Slim Mama Shake twice a day and the collagen in the shake definitely helped.”References: